Изучаем английский язык

Информация о пользователе

Привет, Гость! Войдите или зарегистрируйтесь.

Вы здесь » Изучаем английский язык » ENGLISH-SPEAKING COUNTRIES » Getting to know Great Britain <

Getting to know Great Britain <

Сообщений 1 страница 30 из 115

Tell us what you know about this english-speaking country or its people  (some facts about culture, sightseeings or something else) :cool:

The United Kingdom (or Great Britain) is situated on the British Isles. The British Isles consist of two large islands, Great Britain and Ireland, and about five thousand small islands. Their total area is over 244,000 square kilometers. The United Kingdom is made up of four countries: England, Wales, Scotland (on the island of Great Britain), and Northern Ireland (on the island of Ireland). Their capitals are London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, and Belfast respectively. The capital of the UK is London. The British Isles are separated from the European continent by the North Sea and the English Channel. The western coast of Great Britain is washed by the Atlantic Ocean and the Irish Sea.

Отредактировано Denis(214PR) (2012-03-09 12:03:26)

The culture of the United Kingdom is rich and various. Great Britain possesses a strong cultural contact with the former colonies, especially with those гоcударствами where  English language is state. The considerable contribution to the British culture was for the last half a century brought by immigrants from the Indian subcontinent and the countries of Caribbean basin. In the course of formation of the United Kingdom its structure included cultures of the former independent states.
Official language of Great Britain is English which is recognized by language of the international dialogue. English language is the main communication medium.

In England, was the famous writer William Shakespeare. His theater globe. There he staged his plays. His famous plays: Romeo and Juliet ... Hamlet and King Lear.

Church of St. Margaret's in Westminster Abbey. The temple comes to its facade on Parliament Square. It is made in the late Gothic style. And just as he and the Palace of Westminster Abbey, it is a UNESCO World Heritage List.

The most important characteristics of the British are conservatism, realism, orderliness, practicality and felling for privacy - they build brick fences & stone walls around their house. Another national trait is snobbery. They often judge people by their social position. The national drink is beer, they go to drink it to pubs.

At Westminster Abbey in London was the wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton that took place on 29 April 2011. It was the biggest wedding ever :)

The same denominator England one of the largest and best equipped theaters in London is considered the Coliseum Theatre  formerly worn by the name of the London Coliseum. It is located in the city of Westminster, St. Martin's Lane.

Отредактировано Анютка (2012-03-10 12:33:52)

The culture of the United Kingdom refers to the patterns of human activity and symbolism associated with the United Kingdom and its people.

More recently, popular culture of the UK included notable movements in music such as the British invasion and Britpop , while British literature , British cinema , British television and British poetry is respected across the world.

English language is the official language of the UK, and is spoken monolingually by an estimated 95% of the British population. The United Kingdom has ratified the charter for: Welsh (in Wales), Scottish Gaelic and Scots (in Scotland), Cornish (in Cornwall ), and Irish and Ulster Scots (in Northern Ireland). British Sign Language is also a recognised language.

Culture of the United Kingdom is not uniform and there is: music, cinema, painting, architecture, and literature this rich historical heritage of Britain and its peoples. Everyone knows famous writers Jonathan Swift, Agatha Christie, Rudyard Kipling, Walter Scott, Andrew Lloyd Webber's famous composers, Oliver Knussen, Anne Dudley, famous rock bands and rock performers : the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Queen, Elton John, David Bowie, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, the Kinks, the Yardbirds, the Sex Pistols, The Clash, Van Morrison, Eric Clapton, ELO, The Hollies, Sting, Pet Shop Boys

The architecture of the United Kingdom includes many features that precede the creation of the United Kingdom in 1707, from as early as Skara Brae and Stonehenge to the Giant's Ring , Avebury and Roman ruins .In the United Kingdom, a listed building is a building or other structure officially designated as being of special architectural, historical or cultural significance.

I really like the one of the main attractions of London's Trafalgar Square. Favorite place events Londoners and tourists. Here is the countdown mileage of all the roads of Great Britain, the so-called "zero kilometre". :flag:

Great Britain is famous for all museums. Such as Pollock's Toy Museum is located in London, in two adjacent buildings. Freud Museum is located in the Hampstead area of ​​London. There is a museum in the house where he lived with Freud in 1938 with his family. London Transport Museum. Museum of the Royal Air Force.

In Great Britain interesting local traditions. In this country the reserved manner of dialogue is accepted (as a sign on respect for the interlocutor), in speech often there are turns: "Probably", «I so think» and «it seems To me» is is a sign of a step and good education.
At conversation with the local resident it is necessary to avoid categorical statements, disputes and the tactless reference. It is considered a bad form to interfere at Englishmen with private life and, especially, to gossip.
Englishmen – very legislative people, they honor norms and behavior rules. Inhabitants of Great Britain are able to listen to the interlocutor, without interrupting him, but it not always means that they with you agree.

Great Britain to be on islands and includes the states Ireland and England! Still I know that in England there are two-storeyed buses.

I am surprised by character of Englishmen. One of the striking features of English life is the self-discipline and courtesy of all classes. There is little noisy behaviour, and practically no loud disputing in the street. Englishmen are naturally polite and are never tired in saying "Thank you", "I am sorry", "Beg you pardon". If you follow anyone who is entering a building or a room he will hold open for you. Many foreigners have commented on a remarkable politeness of English people.

I think that Englishmen are too subject to traditions. For example, this English tea in the fifth o'clock in the evening. Or honoring of the English queen which has purely symbolical power, and many other things. But, it seems to me, what exactly these differences and lift the English people over other nationalities

Оnly the Queen has the right to eat swan meat in Great Britain.It's very interesting fact,I think.

Great Britain... Great Britain is country of dreams. To my mind, it is the most beautiful and wounderful country. It has great history, which consist of legends and fairytales. One of more interesting of attraction of Great Britain is Stonehenge.
   Stonehenge is composed of a circular setting of large standing stones set within earthworks. It is at the centre of the most dense complex of Neolithic and Bronze Age monuments in England, including several hundred burial mounds. Some people thinks, that druids built Stonehenge, some other believe, that it were aliens. There are many version about it. This is very amasing and mistic place.
   Stonehenge is wonder of the world!
http://uploads.ru/t/l/T/f/lTfaQ.jpg

I want to tell about mentality of Englishmen. Englishmen as island inhabitants have "island" psychology, they are individualists. Englishmen speak: «My house — my fortress» or some kind of personal island on which he lives. Many people think  that stiffness and some arrogance in relation to other people are peculiar to Englishmen.

Englishmen bring up the children a little more strictly, than other people. To the real gentleman since the childhood call of duty and honor takes root.

It is very difficult to Englishmen to leave the past. They it is never thrown out old furniture. They, as well as their ancestors, plant gardens in a certain style. Englishmen frostily put on isn't dependent on a financial position.

At Englishmen it is not accepted to share the difficulties or problems. Well and the most important tradition at Englishmen is fidelity of a monarchy, despite that that the queen simply a symbol of Great Britain.

London - jne of the intresting cities of the world.Londonit the cultural center.London has 300 galleries and museums.There are more than 150 theatres in London.Sights of London it: TOwer Bridge, Big Ben , Buckingham Palace and etc.Tourism is one of London's key industries.
http://uploads.ru/i/m/6/8/m68Hu.jpg

Отредактировано Д@ш@ (2012-03-28 14:40:08)

Unlike most countries, Britain has failed to develop a common constitution. In the UK there are no clear distinction between the rules of constitutional law and other branches of legal science. British lawyers have difficulty with the definition of areas of law in the absence of a clear and formal legal system.

And I liked the one interesting fact: the British for the successful assimilation of the difficult phrase "I love you" are mnemonics 'Yellow-blue bus'. 8-)

Britain has a temperate oceanic climate with more rainfall throughout the year. Temperatures vary according to season, but rarely fall below -11 ° C or rise above 35 ° C. The main wind come from the south-west, and often bring cold and wet weather from the Atlantic Ocean, but the eastern part of the country largely protected from these winds, and since most of it falling in the western regions, the eastern most are dry. Atlantic currents, warmed up the Gulf Stream brings mild winters, sometimes in the winter and early spring are snow, although snow is usually short-lived.

http://uploads.ru/t/G/4/p/G4pPt.jpg

http://uploads.ru/t/T/J/z/TJzAO.jpg
British flag

http://i.obozrevatel.com/8/1171586/gallery/631356.jpg

in The Great Britain we can see the smile in the sky. There was "an overturned rainbow" in the sky over Britain . this phenomenon is characteristic for northern and southern poles. This rainbow looks like a smile  :cool:

Отредактировано sunny_girl (2012-03-30 17:54:45)

Вы здесь » Изучаем английский язык » ENGLISH-SPEAKING COUNTRIES » Getting to know Great Britain <

Рейтинг форумов | Создать форум бесплатно